Today the doctor came into wound care, like he normally does. I have been very grateful that he is keeping close tabs on me. I have not been to hyperbarics or wound care since Thursday because of family things during the weekend. Today the doctor said we are loosing the skin graft. It has receded another 30%. He also said that something else is not right and it must be that I have an infection.
I asked him to look at my donor site, where the skin graft came from, on my hip. I'm so glad I had him look at it because he said that I have an infection in it as well. He thinks that my chemo (which I had again last Thursday) must be the reason I am not healing and have gotten these infections. He cultured my donor site and said that the results will tell him how to fine tune the antibiotic. Meanwhile he is starting my on yet another antibiotic. Every time the donor site is disturbed the pain is nearly excruciating for quite awhile.
I was grateful that Karen, Dennis' sister took me today. I cried when the doctor gave me the news. And when we got to the car, a flood of tears came. Karen let me cry and assured me I didn't need to feel stupid!
Last night Dennis and I went to a fireside. A guy named Matt Lucia spoke. He is from Preston and is a couple of years younger than I am. He was in a helicopter accident 8 1/2 years ago. He said that after the crash, he was all alone on the frigid mountain. The pilot and co pilot had been killed. He prayed for comfort. He immediately felt as if a warm blanket had been put over him. He knew that Heavenly Father was watching over him. He also set a goal to survive the night, which he did and was rescued the next day. He said that the difference between his life and the lives of those listening last night were only in the details. We each have our struggles. But our loving Heavenly Father is there for us. We just have to ask for His help.
For the past couple of months or more I have enjoyed so much peace and contentment while the external happenings in my life have been anything but peaceful. The peace that I have enjoyed lately, has made all I've gone through so worth it. It is like a present, a gift that can be opened up again and again. I open it often and bask in it. I test it out to make sure it is still there. Heavenly Father has blessed me abundantly. It is a compensatory blessing, making everything I've suffered worth it!
I obviously don't know how things will turn out. I have no idea how long it will take me to get better. I could have another skin graft, if I choose (at this point I choose not to!) But I trust that Heavenly Father is taking care of me, that there must be things I need to learn, that I am hopefully becoming an instrument in His hands. I trust Him completely. I know he loves me and watches over me. I also know that he watches over all of His children. He is watching over you too! Thank Him for your trials. I do! I love you all!
P.S. Please see my sister's commentary on this subject. Click HERE.
6 comments:
I cried when I read your post. How hard. Hang in there. Things will work out somehow. Your trials make me wonder what in the world I'm doing to earn MY salvation. I need to be more careful with my thoughts and my time to make sure I'm using them the way Heavenly Father would want me to so I can learn all I need to learn and become what I need to become. Much farther for me to go than you. . . .
So did you talk to Matt? I'd be interested in hearing more about that fireside.
Oh Katie, I am so sorry. You are an inspiration to me. It was great seeing you at the family reunion. I have been thinking about you a lot and keep you in my prayers!
Love,
Malita
Oh, man. I'm sorry! I'm glad Karen was there with you and that you could have a good cry. I would have cried too. Thanks for sharing about the compensatory blessings and the link to Danna's blog. We continue to keep you in our prayers and fasts! A huge hug (but a gentle one) from me!
Thank you Katie. My prayers, thoughts, and amazement, are with you in your sweet strength.
Please use our extra room whenever it would help in your comings and goings. We live close to the Rexburg hospital.
Brenda (Brooke's mom)
This news causes my heart to ache, Katie. I cannot express the emotions I am feeling.
A quote came to mind though that talks about the peace you described: "Though persecutions arise, though reverses come, in prayer we can find assurance, for God will speak peace to the soul. That peace, that spirit of serenity, is life's greatest blessing." --Ezra Taft Benson
I am so grateful for your example of deep faith, Katie. I recall your example often to help fortify me. I love you.
Thank you for your words of inspiration. For some reason, I always feel like I need to be providing the words of inspiration for people going through hard times, but when the people having a hard time turn to the Lord, like you have, their words of inspiration far exceed any of those that I could offer. It is always such a blessing to read your blog, and feel the strength you have. Believe it or not, your strengthen me in my life. I pray that the Lord will continue to watch over you. I can't even imagine what you have been through, are going through, and yet have to overcome. My prayers and thoughts are with you. Thanks again for your wonderful words of love, strength, and wisdom. The Lord is truly in your life.
Post a Comment