Sunday, November 18, 2012

Two Year Reflections

Friday was the two year anniversary of Katie's passing.  I talked to the kids after our scripture reading that morning about writing their memories of Katie in their journals.  Drew really took it to heart and asked everyone what they remember Mom really enjoying doing as part of his memories.  I have asked myself the same question.  Over the past two years I have been through most of Katie's journals.  It is very enlightening to see into her life, to see her sad and happy times, and to know that she was human.  I am very grateful that I have these growing up experiences of Katie to add to my own memories. 

Most people will remember Katie by her love of her family as well as her love of making things through sewing and crafts.  As I have gained additional insight into her life through my reading, I am going to add the memory of her love of being with people.  Katie really loved being with people.  When we were first married and living in Blackfoot, it was very hard for her because she was all alone.  Phone calls to friends and family were long distance and expensive.  She could hardly wait until I arrived home which was wonderful as a newly married couple, but she still craved more contact with others.  It was only a month after we were married that she became pregnant and experienced severe morning sickness.  This made it very difficult to took for a job.  We also did not know anyone in a large older ward.  It was at this time that Heavenly help was sent to Katie in name of Mrytle Parkinson.  It was announced in Relief Society that volunteers were needed to read to an elderly sister who had lost most of her eyesight.  Katie signed up to help and gathered up the courage to give her a call.  Mrytle and Katie became instant friends and that friendship opened up to other friendships in the ward and community. 

Once you were a friend with Katie, you were a friend for life.  She kept up with her high school, college, mission, and ward friendships as they were added.  Up until her death, she kept up with most of these friendships through phone calls, email, and Facebook.  One of the happiest times for Katie was getting together with her best friends from high school one week before she passed away.  Below is a picture of them together.

 

Because of Katie, I got to know a lot more people than I normally would have.  My life will forever be changed because of this.  Relationships in life with family and friends are all that really will matter in the end.

Life will continue on as it has the past two years.  New memories are added to the older ones.  Time helps heal the loss of Katie, but also makes my love for her grow more and more.  Someone gave a framed quote to me that sums up my thoughts.  It says, "My short walk down the pathway of life has made the journey sweet".  Katie has and contiues to make life sweet for all of us.


How I love you Katie.

Dennis


5 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing these tender thoughts with us! We love Katie & each of you.

debbie said...

What a blessing journals and blogs are. They help us stay connected even when the ones we love are gone. I've been missing Katie and her blog posts. I miss seeing her craft projects. Thank you for continuing to update how you're doing and how the kids are doing. You are all in my prayers everyday.

The Normans said...

We've been thinking of you and your family. Thank you for posting this. We love you!

Janeal said...

I am so grateful for the opportunity my friends and I had to visit with Katie the week before she died. Thank you for posting that picture, it brings back a tender, sweet memory. She radiated such a spirit of peace and acceptance that day, I will never forget it. Love her!

David and Company said...

I am so grateful that I got to be blessed by being her friend. She has touched my life forever.