It took me a week to somewhat wrap my brain around the whole mess. But Heavenly Father is so merciful. Looking back I can see 3 huge blessings He had arranged in advance. Blessing number one: General Conference was the next day, blessing two was we had planned to go my parents for it. Blessing three: Dennis had spring break for a week that next week. It was quite the week but the burden was shared. Dennis and I read lots, we talked, we prayed, we made phone calls. We held onto each other both physically and emotionally.
The week was spent trying to decide whether to have chemo or not. I didn't want to because I've kind of become and herb girl. In a blessing that Dennis and my dad gave me I was promised peace with the treatment plan that was best. But up until we met with my oncologist, Dr. Dickson, I was dead set against chemo.
We were literally walking out the door to go meet with Dr. Dickson for the first time when the phone rang. It was Luana, my midwife. Her husband had had cancer some years ago. She was probably the only person in the whole world who could have told me to go with an open mind.
We liked Dr. Dickson right away. He is compassionate, friendly and he knows his stuff. My treatment course was extensive: chemo, surgery, radiation and more chemo.
My bishop called for a ward fast. The night of the fast we met at the church for a ward prayer. We all knelt down and the bishop said a beautiful prayer. There were so many people there--so much love and support. I know that all of my extended family fasted and prayed for me also. Thank you everyone who took an interest in me. You are all wonderful and I love you all so much!
The day after the ward fast I went in for my first chemo treatment. There I nursed my Mary for the last time. That was the hardest thing! Two weeks later my hair started falling out and I asked Dennis to shave my head. I cried and cried that day.
I had so much love from my family and friends. My sisters and my cousin sent me packages. Other family members and friends also gave sweet gifts from their hearts and served in other amazing ways. My ward sisters brought food and cleaned my house. I got letters from friends and from people I haven't seen in a long time and even from a stranger or two. I got lots of cheering phone calls. My mom's hair dresser who went through cancer sent up her wigs and hats. When I was doing radiation my mom drove up every Thursday to take me and once my sister came clear from Utah to drive me there. The sisters in my ward tended my little ones everyday while I went to radiation and even drove me to my appointment sometimes. Dennis still takes the day off when I go for chemo. Can a person be any more blessed than this?
Wearing a bandanna was more comfortable than my wig for extended periods of time. This was at the Hansen family reunion.I wore my wig to church and finally learned to wear it most of the time in public because I felt much better not looking so conspicuous.
This is my wig. I had a hard time getting used to it because it was bigger hair than I ever had before. I did learn to like it okay.
Here I am looking incredibly hideous. I really hate posting it. It feels like the dream where you show up to church in your underwear. This was mid-February.
This was taken last week. I'm still self conscious because it is so short. But I do feel encouraged that it is growing fast. And it is fun to have so much curl.
I would never want to repeat this past year but I would never want to trade the things I learned from this experience. Looking back, I feel so blessed. My sister called this my walk with God. I loved that. He was never far away and my trial brought me closer to Him.
12 comments:
Thanks for sharing. . . I can take courage from other people enduring and conquering hard things.
I cried through the whole post just as I've cried many times thoughout the year as I've thought of my sweet sister and this tremendous trial. I'm ever grateful that you are doing well. Take courage and keep fighting! al
Katie-- This is Valerie, Greg Chandler's wife. Got your invitation to Darcee's personal ministry and talked to Greg about it. He was again impressed with you ladies. It was nice to meet you for a second this past summer at the 20th reunion. I peeked at Darcee's links and found you here. It was wonderful to read about your courage through the events of the past year. A "walk with God" indeed. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
(I was also very impressed by your Easter sewing. so cute! Your family is darling.)
--Valerie Chandler
Also, this may be a little freeky, but I was a big CK fan and got "to know" Darcee through her layouts published there. It was wonderful to find out that she is your sister, and also to see her beautiful family, and new baby girl.
Darn, Katie! I have my makeup on for church and now I have to go redo it! It was worth it though. I love you so much and I'm proud of the way you have handled your special challenge. Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us! You have been an inspiration to me! Love, Mom
Dear Kaite, my first born. It is through my tears I make this post. Courage and faith are companions and you have lived both. Thank for what you have taught me. Dad
I cried and cried. Thank you for sharing your tender story with us, Katie. How I love and admire you! Danna
Katie, You are such a sweetie! You and your cute family are always in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. You are always an inspiration.
Katie,
How much I appreciate your sharing the last year of your life with all of us. You are truly an inspiration. Love Aunt Nancy
Katie, I love your blog and It was neat to read your story and I am so glad that you posted your photos and are willing to share a small portion of your walk with God, with us!
Thank you for being such a sweetheart!
Love, Brooke Leonardson
I love the Easter Dresses! How fun for your girls to have such a neat mom!
Oh my goodness, I had no idea. You tell a great story of the strength it takes. I'm so glad I was able to read this. May God be with you and your family (Can you really have kids this old? Not possible!)
Katie,
Darcee is a wonderful sister-in-law and I hope you do not mind her sharing your very precious past year with me. It was such a beautiful testimony of a courageous walk with God and it came at a perfect time for me. Your story touched my heart. So many times when you have not realized it your story of faith and courage have helped me to count my blessings. I think sometimes we have to go through trials not only for the growth of ourselves, but for those around us. Your journey has truly helped me to grow and feel closer to the Savior. Thanks for sharing such a personal experience and allowing me to feel of your spirit. May your faith and courage always keep you walking with God and enjoying your eternal family.---Heidi
Post a Comment