Monday, March 17, 2008

Easter Dresses

I loved when my mom made me a new dress! She often made my 3 sisters and me matching dresses. I remember one of my favorites (and they are back in fashion!)that had tiny rows of elastic gathering around my upper torso. My sisters had the same dresses with different colors.

When Camille and Alexa were younger I made them 2 sets of matching dresses. But after my dismal failure of the zippers I gave up sewing clothes. Not too long ago my girls asked for matching dresses. Oh my! I shopped a little in hopes of finding something in the 3 sizes of my girls without spending a fortune. My search left me disappointed. I decided to (gulp) invest the time to make them.

I took Camille and Alexa shopping at the fabric store and we had so much fun. We found a darling pattern and some cute fabric (that will not need to be ironed--a must for me!) There was no pattern for Mary's size so I adapted one I had.

I have a neighbor who sews and who had told me (after my last dress-sewing experience) that she would help me with future zippers and I planned to call her. I was talking to my mom one day and mentioned all this to her. She explained her new and improved method for zippers over the phone. I tried it and it worked! (Thanks Mom!) I was ever so pleased!


I just finished the last hem today and what a good feeling! I have really enjoyed sewing for my girls. And the best part is: they love them! They are so excited. Hmmm.... a new tradition for us? Perhaps!




zipper

4 comments:

Darcee said...

Fun! Maybe you want to add one more girl to sew for?? Tessie will never have a mom that sews for her . . .

They turned out cute!

Anonymous said...

The dresses are cute! Thanks for showing us pictures and sharing your success! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

You are so talented and persistent, Katie. I really admire your many strengths. Maybe next year I will attempt sew Easter dresses for my girls. That would be a big leap for me as I am not friends with my sewing machine and I've never followed a pattern . . . Is there any hope for me?!

Your page is so cute! I love you!

Danna

Anonymous said...

Great dresses, Katie! Wish you were closer so you could teach me some sewing skills. al