Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Swim Camp

We just returned from a wonderful week at swim camp. This is our 5th year up at Green Canyon. We pulled our camper up on Sunday night and stayed until Friday after lessons. We had Brandon, Camille and Alexa in lessons this year. Brandon passed off level 6, Camille level 3 and Alexa level 2. They really made great progress! Brandon was so nervous about the 20 laps he would have to swim the last day but he seemed to do it with ease and even said it was fun. Camille can now swim across the pool and Alexa can swim part way across.
We took Drew and Mary swimming everyday. We have a little suit that has an inner tube built in for Mary. She did really well. She loved to go get into the hot tub which is 105 degrees! Then she would even get in the cold pool sometimes too! I think she is a bit crazy. Drew liked doing his own thing and just bobbed around with a noodle. The really nice thing about Green Canyon is that the shallow end is really big with plenty of room to roam. I also am glad it is indoors. making sunscreen unnecessary--so nice!

On Monday we celebrated Drew’s birthday. We reminisced about the year he was born. He came much later than expected and was born the week we were scheduled to be at our first swim camp ever. So we had to enlist the help of Dennis’ family to take the kids to their lessons.
Some folks have asked me how much it costs. It is $45 per child. They get 2 lessons a day. Those in lessons can get an unlimited pass to swim for the week for $1.25 a day. Swim campers get 40% off camping (I think that makes it about $6 a day for the camping spot with full hook ups). Many people go together with friends. We have always gone alone but would welcome any who want to join us. Some people have family visit them a day during the week. It would be fun if anyone wanted to do that! Dave and Julianna came up for hot dogs one evening and we loved entertaining! We hope they enjoyed their visit!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would liked to come but I had to go to NM and our car was ready to break down.

Katie and Dennis said...

Next year maybe?

debbie said...

It sounds like a lot of fun. I love Drew's birthday cake. It makes me want to run out and buy Ding Dongs! Yum!

Garling Ranch said...

That sounds like a great opportunity! When Ted and I get around to having kids, I will have to get some information from you about the camp so we can take our kids up there. This is a great idea!

Kristin said...

I;m jealous. I called in january to sign up but they were already full. So maybe I should get signed up right now.

Kimberly said...

I wish we had something like that around here! Sounds like SO much fun! It maybe something we might have to consider some year!

Alison Hixson said...

That would be so fun! My Drew would love that! How old do they have to be to start lessons? What a fun summer activity to look forward to!

Alison
p.s. we have a new website. www.hixsonhouse.blogspot.com don't forget to update on your links!!