Monday, July 21, 2008
Mending
I've said before that I hate folding the white batch of laundry. But there is actually a job I loathe more than that. Maybe you read the title of this entry and can guess with accuracy that it is mending. I think, though, that it is kind of love/hate relationship that I have with the mending pile. A month or so ago, Dennis put an enormous stack of jeans in the mending box (and there were already a couple of pairs of Brandon's there.) I procrastinated and put it off and didn’t do it and let it sit and dreaded it and glared at the whole mess for a very long time. Last Wednesday I screwed up my bravery and with a big sigh (or two) sat down to the sewing machine. I zig zagged and zag zigged and zug zagged and worked like a slave. It took me 3 days! But what an awesome feeling to get it all done! Like I'd climbed Mt. Everest or something! I should have taken a picture with my foot on the stack and my arms puffed up. But I would have had to put on makeup. Just use your imagination. The love part of the relationship is the feeling of accomplishment that one gets from doing something hard. I do love that!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Come and do mine now you're in the groove. I don't have that big of a stack and it would only take you a little time. You probably got your dislike for mending from your mother!
Aren't the holes in jeans in style now anyway? See, no need to mend again.
Wow! I'm impressed! I totally relate to having something on my "to do" list and then putting it off, dreading it. I have several things on such a list right now. Now that I don't have school or recovering from pregnancy as an excuse, I'm slowly attacking that list. Just today I got around to taking a comforter and quilt to the laundromat to use those big front-loader washing machines. And this afternoon I pulled out our 72-hour kits to rotate the food. Now I need to make one up for Tyler and one for Darrell to keep at work. I, too, love that "I'm all done!!!!" feeling.
Wow, Debbie! We need to redo our 72 hour kits too. That is a very major project! And indeed a good feeling to have it done!
With the help of Dennis, Brandon and Jeffrey we just got all the windows and blinds in our house cleaned today (we started a week ago.) Feels so good to get that big job done!
Hey Dustin! I guess you are right about holey jeans. But I think *these* pants would be much too breezy without a little mending.
PLEASE COME TO MY HOUSE!!!!
Love,
Kendi
Post a Comment