Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ideas Needed

Help if you can! I have a huge window in my new living room. I thought I had the curtains all planned out but I have run into problems. Problem #1: most curtains come 84" long. The next length available (usually not in stores but in catalogs) is 95'. Eighty-four inches hits the window where I have drawn the hot green line (this picture by the way was when we were getting ready to paint and had the windows all covered for the sprayer.)

I have already purchased a double rod because I love sheers but I also wanted something heavier so one cannot see in at night. So I was going to put the sheers on the inside rod and something else on the outside rod. I can solve the problem of height with the sheers using rings, like you see in the post below. No problem.

Problem #2: The window is 8 feet wide. The widest sheers I have found are 60". So I have 96" window and 120" of curtain. Yes, it will cover it, but does not give much fullness. I did notice that JCPenney has pinch pleat drapes that come much wider and you can put them up with rings. But I wonder if that will look dumb???

Problem #3: The outside curtain. I have problem #1 and problem #2 above with the outside curtain. I don't know how it would look to have both curtains on rings. I kind of wanted the variety of having the sheers on rings and the outside one hanging from the rod pocket. I do know that it would look absolutely retarded to have the outside curtain 3" off the ground. So even if I get that predicament figured out (buy the longer curtains and hem them--groan) there is still the width issue. How do you get them full enough without having a seam (I think that is going to be unavoidable)? Does anyone know any brighter ideas?

3 comments:

Taralyn said...

I DO I DO I DO.... :) You can go double fullness on shears with rings, very pretty - then instead of FULL on outer drape do side panels - which you can usually do with 1 panel split in half - however you will have to hem it - but only 1 panel :) I love that look. You will have a seam in the sheer but you can hide that really well if it is double fullness... How fun you are getting to design your new remodel...

Darcee said...

I call you on these issues so I'm of no help. Sorry.

debbie said...

I wish I had a talent for this kind of stuff, but sorry, no help here!