I think I made a mistake that I hope to correct. I only sent out Christmas letters to my friends I think do not know about my blog. My reasoning behind it is that everyone who reads my blog knows what is going on in my life. Looking back, I think I should have sent them to all the people on my list. I have felt a lot of times that we go through trials, in part, because 1. we can show our faith to others when we rely on Heavenly Father for support in that trial, and 2. we learn gratitude and humility for heavenly and earthly help and helpers. In my letter I express thanks for both. I want my family and friends who are regular readers to know of my gratitude for all the service that has been rendered in our behalf. Your generosity has been the answer some prayers that I have had for years. The Lord works in mysterious ways and I am grateful to Him for His many blessings to us. Yes, it has been very difficult, and I am looking forward to a better year in 2010 but I would not trade my experiences and what I have learned for anything. I do not want to be guilty of passing up and opportunity to show my faith and gratitude. Here is our Christmas letter:
Dear Family and Friends,
This has been another eventful year in the Hansen household. We have enjoyed many blessings and have endured some challenges.
In January we learned that Katie’s cancer had returned to her left breast. She immediately started chemo again (and lost most of her hair again). In April she had a mastectomy but the surgeon was unable to close up the wound because it was so deep. The plastic surgeon could not do a graft until granulation tissue had grown in the wound. Katie went to wound care daily and experienced a lot of pain. In June she was back in surgery again for a latissimus dorsi flap(muscle from the back brought forward to the front) and a skin graft. There were many set backs including staff infection and failure of the graft. She went to hyperbarics daily for 6 weeks. In July she had another skin graft and this one finally took. Meanwhile the cancer had returned. She is now on chemo indefinitely. Her one request was that the doctor give her a chemo that would not cause hair loss (he honored her request!) She goes to Rexburg every other week for chemo. The chemo is working and the last scan was good. We have seen miracles and know Heavenly Father will continue to bless us with what we need.
The community and our families have helped us so much in so many ways. We have been very humbled by the outpouring of love. We have seen the workings of the Lord through many earthly angels. Our testimonies have been strengthened that we have a loving Heavenly Father. He has cared for us so tenderly.
Other events of the year include:
Jeffrey’s Eagle scout project (27 receiving blankets for the local hospital)
Brandon’s baseball games
Camille spent 2 weeks in Arizona with relatives
Alexa’s baptism
Drew started kindergarten
Mary makes us smile and laugh everyday
Swim camp at Green Canyon
Family trip to southern Utah and Arizona
Dennis was released from the bishopric after serving nearly 6 years
We were able to finish the addition to our home that we started over a year ago!
Thank you for your love and prayers. We are so grateful for wonderful family and friends! We wish you a wonderful Christmas season.
Love,
Dennis and Katie
2 comments:
I decided letters are good even if you blog! (mostly because they are fun to receive) Thanks for sharing. It is a very sweet letter.
I'm so happy to read your blog. It makes me happy. Thanks for including your Christmas letter.
Adrian
Post a Comment