Friday, April 4, 2008

Here's to half finished...

I read once that if there is an unpleasant job, you can time it. You will know from then on that such and such only takes 15 minutes to complete and it won’t be so dreadful knowing the amount of time it takes is so minute. The job I loathe is folding the white batch of laundry and putting it all away. I have set out to time the task a few times. All I can tell you is that I get many interruptions. Then I forget what I’m doing and get started on this or that. It could be the middle of the night when I remember I was timing myself. This is how I seem to work. Right now I have 3 different projects going, a batch of cards, bread that needs to be put in the pan and this blog. Plus, Mary is presently on the table eating the cottage cheese that Drew didn't eat at lunch (I leave it out in hopes he will return to finish. It usually turns out that Mary discovers it.)


Here is last week's bread just after I put it in the pans. I meant to get a picture of the finished product but forgot. Maybe today I will. But don't hold your breath.


I have been thinking about Jesus when he said that clothing the naked, feeding the hungry etc. was like doing that for Him. Sometimes homemaking seems routine and insignificant even though I do enjoy it. But are we mothers not doing what is most important? So next time someone is out of underwear I will try to remember this! (They're in that unfolded batch of whites that I threw back in the laundry basket so I could get to my bed last night!) I'm off the clothe the naked!

3 comments:

Darcee said...

Well said! I think we don't even come close to understanding how important these mundane tasks add up to be.

Anonymous said...

hi katie,

I tried to leave a note the other day, but couldn't figure it out, so hopefully today!! There was a really good conference talk about mom's. It's always nice to be appreciated.

Aunt Kaye

DB said...

Ok, I guess I'm not qualified to leave a comment on this post as it's directed to mothers, but...

From a husband's point of view all the work that my wife does (and all mothers) is a huge part of making the family work well. Thanks to all of you!