Monday, September 15, 2008

Projects

The day the kids went back to school I delved into a few projects that have needed to be done.

After Grandma Porter died in August 2006 I asked for her couch. No one else wanted it, probably because the upholstery is frightfully outdated. The frame, however, is in excellent condition.When I first got it I didn't have time to make a slip cover. So I just made covers for the cushions and sewed 2 sheets together to go over the frame but under the cushions. It made it look okay until I found the time to make the slip cover. (I have ordered a slip cover before and on my couch it didn't look anything like the picture in the catalog. I returned it to the company.)

I am not totally happy with how the new cover turned out. My main complaint is that I sewed a seam that goes down the top of the arms. I made arm covers to go over them so it is a bit better. (But even they look kind of dumb. ugh.) Also it isn't the perfect fit I was hoping for. What can I expect? I am such a amateur!
I have been collecting pillow fabric for a few months and they became top priority: a different focal point than the frumpy-looking couch. I was slightly disappointed with the pillows too. They look more bedroomy than living roomy. OH WELL!
The feature I was very pleased with is I can take the fabric off to wash it.

This table and the runner were the final projects. I painted the table. It is one that we got for our wedding. It was looking a bit beat-up. A fresh coat of paint helped.

The picture above is a different old couch. The upholstery is orange. We got it from Dennis' parents when we got married. I really don't know how many years old it is (many, many). I made a plaid blue slip cover for it before Brandon was born. When that one wore out I made one out of canvas cloth. I have started keeping sheets over my couches. While slip covers are very nice, because you can throw them in the washer, it is much easier to wash a sheet than the whole cover. I just take off the sheets when I expect company. I don't have anything to go on the table yet. And I think it will be awhile. As you see here the runner is a millisecond from being yanked off the table!

6 comments:

Kendi said...

I think that you have done an awesome job on your projects! I wish I had the time to do things like that...maybe someday! I really like your slip cover and I think that pillows add great color.
Love,
Kendi

debbie said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! I don't think I could ever tackle such a project as slip covers and pillows. The best I've done lately is some table runners with cute material and seams on 4 sides. Yours definitely looks so much better than mine! (I remember the old orange couch, and you're right--it is OLD! =0) The sheet over the top is a great idea!)

Anonymous said...

I just think they are pretty.
I think the living room is great!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed Katie. I have a chair I have been going to re-upholster for years. I decided to make a slip cover for it, better chance of getting done. I like the tie on your slip cover. Looks great. GO GIRL!!!!
Aunt Kaye

Darcee said...

Making a slip cover is totally beyond my comprehension--so I am very impressed. What a project!! The painted table also looks good. I've got a few decorating projects up my sleeve too once I finish up my last class!

Garling Ranch said...

Very nice job! I would not be able to do something like that in a million years. I like the pillows, they are very inviting and make you want to cuddle up with them. A fresh coat of paint can do wonders, and the table looks very nice. I appreciate your post about the constitution.