Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Dear Myrtle

After doing my post about Halloween and visiting Myrtle I decided I wanted to talk about Myrtle and what a special lady she is to me.



I met Myrtle in 1994 when we were first married. I was trying to get to know people but was having kind of a hard time. One night at Homemaking meeting they announced that Myrtle Parkinson was back from Arizona but couldn't see to read anymore due to an accident. She was wondering if there was anyone who could read to her. I didn't know who Myrtle was, of course, but I made a mental note of her name. Then I screwed up my courage one afternoon and walked down to her house. We have been friends ever since.

Myrtle has welcomed each of my children like a grandmother. The kids love her so much! She is interested in them and loves to hear how each of them are doing. During the summer we like to visit on her patio and the kids play outside in her back yard. I hope it shows up in the scrapbook page above that she is pitching a ball to Brandon! Up until recently she could kick the kick ball over her clothes line! Wow!

Myrtle was unable to have any children. So she and her husband, Dutch adopted a baby and named her Suzanne. Suzanne has also become my friend in the past year. Dutch died 30 or more years ago. Then Myrtle married Van. He also passed away before I knew Myrtle. After Van died she had an accident that took away her eyesight.

Once Myrtle's son-in-law lined up a repairman for her and he asked John if Myrtle was a grouchy old lady. The answer is a resounding, "NO!" She has many friends. She told me once that because of her handicap she has come to know so many people! Many of them are not of our faith. People come to her house and read to her. She has a cleaning girl. The Relief Society brings her a meal a few times a week. Myrtle told me once about her home teacher, a very shy man. But he has come out of his shell because he has been able to help Myrtle. This has made Myrtle happy that in this small way she has helped this kind brother by letting him serve her.

Myrtle’s health has been declining. She deals with a very painful back and her eyesight continues to deteriorate (still I’m surprised by what she is able to pick up on, like how my hair is doing! Besides she was a beautician in her working years.) Still she is upbeat and happy. She still lives in her own home by herself. She doesn't complain and counts her blessings instead.

Myrtle has been such a blessing in my life. She is my hero. I want to be just like her when I grow up! What a wonderful example she has been to me. And she is a reminder to me that Heavenly Father answers prayers. I prayed for a friend. I got blessed with Myrtle.
Myrtle with chubby little Jeffrey.

Myrtle with Brandon and me.

Jeffrey, Myrtle, Camille and Brandon

Myrtle holding AlexaMyrtle loves babied and you can see how thrilled she is with Drew!

Our Halloween visit in 2004, Myrtle, Drew and Alexa (I love the rollers in her hair!)

Drew, Mary and Myrtle

8 comments:

Darcee said...

You're lucky to have Myrtle! She reminds me of Sister Mitton!

MsMelodee said...

That is wonderful! What great memories for your kids. We have some wonderful ladies in our ward and neighborhood. I am so grateful that my kids have thier greatgrandmother. They love to spend time with her and help her. What a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Myrtle is Really COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

debbie said...

She sounds like a super special lady. It would be fun to meet her and get to know her.

Garling Ranch said...

That is so sweet! She sounds like such an amazing woman. We all need one of those in our lives.

Anonymous said...

I love myrtle.

Darcee said...

Cache wants to know how old Jeffrey was in that picture.

Katie and Dennis said...

He was about 3 months, I think... SOOOO chubby!