Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween

We finally got pumpkins carved on Wednesday night! I had a meeting that night so Dennis got to do the slimy, stinky chore, winning him both father and husband of the year awards. I got home in time to take pictures of the finished products!
I have never done any special cooking for this pagan celebration (why do we have to make such a big deal out of this day?) But I saw these on a web sight and they looked easy and I knew the kids would think I was cool so I made fingers and eyes.

Our ward has done trunk or treating every year since we have lived here. It is so nice not to have to go door to door. We all just sit in a big circle and the kids walk around and hold out their bags and you plop in a candy and everyone is happy!
So I had a teacher, a power ranger (I wanted him to be a missionary but he didn't want to), a mad scientist (I wanted him to be a missionary companion but he also didn't want to), a snow princess, a ballerina, and a geek (Jeffrey didn't dress up except for the glasses but they just say "geek" to me).
It is our tradition to visit our favorite 98-year-old, Myrtle, after trunk or treating.
Here are Myrtle and Dennis having a conversation about Myrtle's toilet while I was taking pictures.












Drew was happy to wear his last year's costume.
This was my first attempt ever at making a tutu. It turned out a little weak-looking. Oh well. Mary spent all evening trying to get it off.
The kids started acting it up at Myrtle's when I pulled out the camera.

10 comments:

Andi said...

What is the food anyway? Cute costumes and you have a great tradition!

debbie said...

I love the glowing jack-o-lanterns! And the creepy treats look like a lot of fun. My roommates went all out one year and did some fun things like that. Maybe when Tyler's a little older I'll venture into fun holiday goodies.

Katie and Dennis said...

The fingers are string cheese with slivered almonds and the eyes are carrots, cream cheese (at least it called for cream cheese but mine was moldy :-@ so it is sour cream) and a chunk of olive on top. It was fun to have healthy spookfood.

The Porter's said...

Very cute.

Kendi said...

You are such a good momma! I hope when we get to heaven we all get to live in the same neighborhood!1

Garling Ranch said...

Your kids were so cute on Halloween! It was a lot of fun being able to see all the cute outfits. It is nice having the trunk or treat in the gym, because then you don't have to worry about bad weather outside! It looks like all the pumpkins turned out very cute! Carving pumpkins is a very essential part of Halloween, although it is very messy!

Unknown said...

You captured the moments so well I feel like I was there!

Twice when I saw pictures of Alexa and Camille I thought I was looking at old family photos of us growing up!

Anonymous said...

I love your Myrtle tradition. I know that it is about 14 or more years old. Way to go. Dad

Darcee said...

You've always been a good Halloween mom--all the kids dressed up, trunk or treat and Myrtle. So your kids will have lots of good memories. We are always so hit and miss as to what we do so who knows what will be remembered.

MsMelodee said...

Way cute treats! Easy enough I think I'll try them next year! It is nice when the older kids can choose their own costumes, but it is so fun dressing the little ones!