Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chemo Day

We saw the doctor and I got chemo yesterday, and in spite of it all, it turned out to be a fun day. We took Drew with us and Dennis' dad came for a visit! While I was getting started on chemo they got us some lunch at McDonald's. Then we played a few games and visited. We had a great time!After chemo I came home and went straight to bed. I also slept in until Dennis left for school this morning. I feel queasy and will take it slowly today. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere.

In honor of a great lady who gives me hope (and has a much, much harder life than I do), I am going to list a few blessings of my many blessings.

1. Last night Dennis came home after chemo (sometimes he has to back to school after he brings me home) and I could go lay down and did not have to worry about anything.

2. Dennis is taking over finding childcare on the days I have chemo. It has become overwhelming to me to find someone to tend and get Drew on the kindergarten bus. I feel like a huge burden because people have already helped me out so much.

3. I know my mom is at her home waiting for a decent hour to call me to see how I'm doing.

4. I overheard my kids praying for me last night to get feeling better.

5. Dr. Dickson is the best. We talked a long time yesterday about what being on chemo indefinitely means and I came away feeling that everything will be okay.

6. The chemo I'm on lets me keep my hair. I've learned that I can handle anything if look normal. It makes me happy.

7. Life is good. I have so so so so many blessings. I know that Heavenly Father is there and watches over me and my family. I hope I can always remember something I read in Neal A. Maxwell's biography. Paraphrasing: Life is hard. But we need to be able to drink the bitter cup without becoming bitter.
It is my constant prayer.

6 comments:

debbie said...

Those are such beautiful things to be thankful for! And I'm so glad Grandpa got to hang out with you too!

Unknown said...

Makes me cry. I love you so much, Katie. You are in our prayers daily.

Heidi said...

I am humbled by your words...You are an amazing woman. Thank you for your incredible example.

Mark and Adrian said...

You are amazing. Thanks for reminding me of what is really important.

Anonymous said...

Katie, you are so BEAUTIFUL!! I am so glad that you get to keep you hair, what a comfort that is. Thank you for your list of blessings...it helps keep us all focused on our own blessings. Thank you for paying it forward:) Amanda B.

David and Company said...

You are AMAZING, never forget that. Call us anytime to keep Mary and Drew. We had so much fun with Mary last time we had her. She is sucha doll.