Saturday, January 8, 2011

My reflections on the holidays

As I occasionally view the blogs of family and friends, I know that these were what kept Katie going through some of the tough times she was facing.  I have to say the same for me.  I honestly have not felt like doing much with the blog over the past few weeks and not because we did not did not have a great Christmas and New Years.  The kids enjoyed the break with Grandpa Hansen and Uncle John coming for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and also the Grovers for Christmas Day.  We spent New Years Eve and Day with Katie's family.  I am a little envious at times at the fun times that my kids have with their grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins.  Growing up, my family holidays were spent at home because we had no grandparents or other family members to go to.  It was just us and that is all that we knew.  As my sisters got married and had their own families, it was always fun to have them come home with their families.  The holidays became something we looked forward to more and more because of the chance to be together.  When Katie and I got married, our first four Christmases were spent with our families.  The third Christmas, as our big car was packed to overflowing and we only had Jeffrey in the car, I said, "That is enough.  We will do this one more year and then we are staying at home."  Our Christmases from that point were with just our family with visits to our extended family coming throughout the week between Christmas and New Years.  Being without Katie and my Mom this year at Christmas has been hard.  The memories that we have of past Christmases are all that we have to hold onto.  Visits to our families have and will never quite be the same.   People lose loved ones all the time.  Death is part of life.  It is always easy to view other people's loss through your own eyes and think that life will get better for them.  I have gained a whole new perspective over this past year, and especially the past two months.  I have greater empathy for those that have lost family members, especially their spouse.  I do know that life will get better for us, and that through the Savior's atonement, we will not feel the loss as greatly as we feel it now, but we will still feel it.   This loss of our loved ones should be a compass for us to live our lives the best that we can so that we can be together with them again.  It is this hope that keeps us going in life through these difficult times.

I started back to school this week and it has been good to see and teach my kids again.  They even said that they missed me.  Mary has been doing well with daycare.

Thank you for all of your love, prayers, and support.

Dennis

8 comments:

Angela said...

Dennis,
I love your honesty. I'm glad that you had a wonderful Christmas in spite of the circumstances. How could you not miss amazing Katie? Of course you feel her loss. I'm glad that you are continuing to blog. I think of your family often and say many prayers in your behalf. I don't know if I was in a similar situation, if I would be doing as well. Here's to all of us living and doing better so that we can get to where we are supposed to be! Give your kids a hug from me.

Angela (Uncle Robert and Aunt Ilene's daughter)

debbie said...

I know I can't even pretend to understand how hard the holidays have been for you, but I DO know that I've prayed for all of you individually a lot. I hope it has helped in some small way.

As I have gone through life's experiences, I find I am always filled with empathy for those going through what I am going through or have gone through. I think it makes us more Christlike people and makes it possible to serve others.

Thanks for your testimony. It helps mine grow too. Love to all of you.

Andi said...

Well said Dennis. To say that I miss Katie is an understatement. But for you it is more keen as half of your life has now moved on. I place great faith in what is to come and that one day we will all feel whole again. She is there waiting and helping us along.

Darcee said...

I miss Katie.

A lot.

But I'm 100% positive it is not as poignant as you feel it.

I'm glad you are one who keeps going

and going

and going

even though it is hard.

Some day we will all see the wisdom from a loving Heavenly Father who orchestrates our lives. Until then I just have to trust that this is a good thing. . . .

Some days that is easier than others.

Unknown said...

Dennis,

Thank you for sharing a piece of your soul with us. My heart just aches for you. I ached all day yesterday to have you visit without Katie. How much she's missed and I just pondered on how you must feel that void at every turn. Please know how much you are loved and how much I care and admire you. Your example has strengthened me so much. I know that angels are about you bearing you up. I could feel that when you were here.

Love,
Danna

Melissa said...

Dennis-
We just want you to know that now a day goes by that we are thinking about and praying for your sweet family. What a great example you have been to all of us through such difficult times. We LOVE you all!!

Joddi said...

I thought about you and the kids so many times during the holidays. I know from a child's point of view how hard the holidays are. I'm glad there was joy and not just heartache. We love you all and you continue to be in our prayers!

Karen said...

Dennis,
I am amazed at your strength! I wish I could ease some of your sorrow.

I recently read an article by Elder Nelson, "The necessity of death is a vital part that God put in place from the beginning. That means to me that you better understand death is a friend. You better understand that you cannot participate fully in God's great plan of happiness without enduring the experience we call death. Those who mourn fulfill God's command, he said, to love each other sufficiently that "they shall weep for those who die."

I guess we are all following this commandment perfectly!

Love you all!!