Thursday, January 15, 2009

From My Scripture Journal

These are a few of the scriptures I recorded shortly after my first diagnosis of cancer.

2 Corinthians 1:3
Blessed be God even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort where with we ourselves are comforted in God

Matthew 4:23
And Jesus went about all Galilee...healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people which believed on his name.

2 Kings 20:5
I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me (Paul's unnamed 'thorn in the flesh'). But he said unto me, my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Chirst's sake; for when I am weak, then am I strong.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Mormon 9:24
...and if they shall drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover.

Mark 4:39-40
And he arose and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace be still. And the wind ceased and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

Revelation 21:4
And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away.

And here is a quote from Elder Bednar's talk about tender mercies: "We should not underestimate or overlook the power of the Lord’s tender mercies. The simpleness, the sweetness, and the constancy of the tender mercies of the Lord will do much to fortify and protect us in the troubled times in which we do now and will yet live. When words cannot provide the solace we need or express the joy we feel, when it is simply futile to attempt to explain that which is unexplainable, when logic and reason cannot yield adequate understanding about the injustices and inequities of life, when mortal experience and evaluation are insufficient to produce a desired outcome, and when it seems that perhaps we are so totally alone, truly we are blessed by the tender mercies of the Lord and made mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

1 comment:

debbie said...

These are beautiful! They are helpful in my trials too. Thanks for sharing!