REPORT OF TUESDAY
by Dennis
I have been requested to fill you in on what we found out today. We met with Dr. Dickson and were told that the cancer is metastatic (meaning that it has spread). They call it a recurring deep chest cancer since the PET scan has found it in the sternum and around the aorta as well as the breast. There is no cure for this type of cancer from the medical textbook standpoint but we do believe in faith and miracles. Dr. Dickson supposes that the cancer began growing again about 2 - 3 months ago. He thinks that the Herceptin was keeping it in check. The plan of action from here is to start chemo on Thursday. We are going to Rexburg early Thursday morning to get another port put in at a surgical center right near Dr. Dickson's office. They will keep the port open after surgury so that Katie can get chemo through the port. We are not sure what the chemo will be because they are waiting on a phish (?) test that will show what kind of cancer cells these are. We do know from the biopsy that this cancer is not estrogen positive as was the case before. Dr. Dickson says that cancer cells can mutate to the point that they are not like the original cancer. When we find out more we will let you know. Katie will get chemo once a week for two months. After this two month period, Dr. Dickson will evaluate what is happening and then we will plan from there. He said that having it once a week will result in a lower dose being spread out over three weeks rather than a larger dose given every three weeks. This should help keep the side effects down and be better at killing off the cancer cells. He also said that there would not be any need for surgery now and there would be no more radiation. He also said that a fast growing cancer like this would usually react very well with the chemo and would shrink almost as fast as it grew. We are not sure if this lower dose will result in Katie losing her hair. We hope not.
We appreciate your faith, prayers, and fasting in behalf of Katie. We truly believe that she will be healed by her faith and the faith and prayers of family and friends around her.
REPORT OF THURSDAY
by Katie
Well, we got today behind us. And it didn't turn out to be too bad. We left here shortly before 5:30, taking Mary and Drew with us. The other four stayed and got themselves on the bus. We dropped Mary and Drew off to Dave and Julianna and were on our way to the surgical center in Rexburg. I had to be there by 6:30 to have a port put in at 7:30. All went well. They accessed the port during the procedure so they didn't have to poke the port when I went for chemo. That was very very good to have it done that way. Even though I was so happy to be rid of the port before, I'm grateful to have another one because chemo through veins is not fun. So after we finished up there about 9:30 we went over to Dr. Dicksons for chemo.
I had to take dexamethazone (a steroid to help with side effects) at 9:00 Wednesday night and again at 3:00 a.m. And they also gave me another dose of it through i.v. before the chemo. The first chemo drug was Herceptin. It took 1 1/2 hours for that to drip in me. From here on out though, they will do it over an hour's time. The next one I got was Taxol. It took an hour for that one. The last one is Carboplatin and that one was also an hour. We got done there about 3:30 I think. The nurse said I will more than likely loose my hair. She said she does know two people who have not lost it with this course of chemo. My mom and I are wig shopping tomorrow.
Well, I am feeling very well. Thank you so much for all your faith and prayers. We can feel them. Our love grows for Heavenly Father and Jesus as well as for all of you. Your love and support mean more than words can say. I love you all.
9 comments:
I have been thinking about you so much and aching for you. Chris walked in on me when I read your previous blog and having not heard from my dad, I was stunned! I have just cried my eyes out for you and your family. You are in my prayers. I admire your faith and trust. Hang in there and fight, fight, fight!!! I love you!
Katie I have thought about you non-stop since last Thrusday. When I was giving the visiting teaching message and came to the end of Sister Lants quote "...as we strive to make each day a little better than the last." I thought about you and what you are going through and I know each day will get better for you! You are in my prayers!! Keep fighting!
Glad your long day went well. We're all praying for you here. Things will work out. Heavenly Father is in charge.
I'm so glad things went well, relatively speaking. You are in our prayers, and I'm so glad you can feel them. The Lord is so merciful.
I Love You Girl!! I hope all goes well. I have faith that you will win this again. You are so strong and courageous. You are my hero!! Love Shelley
Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We hope and pray that all will work out for the best. We love you and your family so much, and hope you can find some peace through your journey.
Why did I wait so long to check my blog! You are such an INSPRIATION! I will pray for you and recruit more prayers(from Nikie)too. Hang in there!
Our prayers are constantly for you, and our pleas are already being heard in the voice of your sweet faith!
Thank you for sharing your faith and for your willingness to share your bright and shining hope with all of us!
We love you!
Katie, we hope all goes well. Good luck with your treatments. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Post a Comment