Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Photos


I think, after years of trying different things, that we finally have a tradition for Christmas Eve dinner: Cornish game hens. The kids liked them. I baked 4 and we cut them in half with kitchen shears and each person got a half. I forgot to take a picture until after they were cut so they weren't looking as nice. So I cropped out most of the picture...


After dinner we acted out the nativity. Dennis was Samuel the Lamanite.

Jeffrey and Mary were Joseph and Mary.

Alexa was the angel, Camille the narrator.
Here are our shepherdsand wise men.

After the nativity we watched the Tabernacle Choir program on PBS. Then the kids went to bed.
Dennis and I had decided to surprise the kids and set up Christmas in the new unfinished, uninsulated living room. We tarped the ceiling, walls and floor on Tuesday. We also covered the floor with carpet and blankets. We got some of the wrapping done earlier in the day but most of is still needed to be done after the kids went to bed. I think we got about 3 hours of sleep.
The tree, of course had to stay in it's original spot inside.
I'm sure the kids will remember this Christmas. It was made very memorable, not only by the new room but also by the absence of electricity! We got tons of snow through the night and power was out throughout a lot of the state. It came on about noon.
We already had our kerosene heater set up to warm our room. Dennis had also bought a propane heater the day before. We stayed very cozy.
After presents and breakfast we shoveled the walk. Then we built a snowman.

After the snow fell, the wind blew. The drifts are big and beautiful.

We had such a wonderful Christmas. I feel a little sad that it is over.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drew is funny... Sometimes.

debbie said...

So fun! Christmas with kids around is the best! Tyler didn't really get it, but it was fun to see Kimberly's kids get excited about their things!

Janeal said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. Katie, I got your card and newsletter in the mail last week, so cute! Wishing you all a joyous New Year.

MsMelodee said...

I am glad you had a great day. What fun to use the new addition. The snow pictures are amazing!

Anonymous said...

That was fun.

Darcee said...

Glad you had a fun Christmas. . .the kids will remember having a lot of it in the new part forever. Where do you get Cornish game hens? I would never even think of cooking something like that! Your nativity reenactment looks a lot more professional than ours ever does! (ours is almost a comedy!)

Katie and Dennis said...

I got the idea of the Cornish game hens from a recipe book (the one I copied pages from and posted a month or so ago.) You can get the birds at any grocery store (I got ours from Walmart.)

This is our first successful nativity reenactment. So here goes a confession: It seems we are always so grouchy when it comes time for the nativity that there were years, instead of things being happy and enjoying each other we have just sent the kids to bed mad (and us as parents were mad, and I always feel bad that I'm not a better mother.) That is not a memory I want my kids to have! So this year I planned a week in advance. I told the kids we would do the nativity and they had to get their own costumes together by the 23 and they had to be very simple. I said that Satan knows he can have a hayday with us and we need to try very hard to be happy. It worked! It still was not perfect but it was so much better than it has been.

I don't think having a spontaneous comedy is bad! Much better than everyone being stressed and upset! Those will be good memories for your kids.

Garling Ranch said...

Love the pictures! Your family is so cute! What a good idea to act out the nativity on Christmas Day! I would have never thought of that!