Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Count Your Many Blessings

The other day we had our door and window taken out that goes in between our old house and the new addition. They were moved to their new location in the back of the new. It is wonderful to have all the doors and windows in place. Yesterday when the wind blew and there was a bit of rain, I went out in the new part and marveled at how air tight it is. I walked to each window and looked out and dreamed of the day it will all be finished. But what a good feeling to have it all enclosed and weather proof!

So now in between the old and the new, our builder friend just boarded it all up. I was a bit stressed about not being able to access the new from our house. We go out there all the time to get under the house. That is where our food storage and many other things are. So Dennis made us a fabulous temporary door. It is not beautiful (at all!), but it is very functional. And it is probably warmer in this part of the house than before! We hung up blankets to cover up the insulation.


Dennis put an old door knob on it. Quit ingenious, I think!This is from the outside with the door open. (above)Sometimes, when I get feeling impatient with the whole long process, I try to remind myself how blessed I am. I feel so blessed that we even get to add onto our house. I gave a talk in church on Sunday and loved this quote I found from Mary Ellen Edmunds: "I know there will always be many people who have much, much more than I do--more time, more clothes, more talent, more hair, more pets, more toys, more children, more things--but there will also always be millions who have much much less than I do, and in many situations much, much less than they need. I began to understand it is not what I have, but what I enjoy that brings real happiness." (italics added)

I'm also so grateful for Dennis, that he takes care of the little things. He didn't have to put up a door. We could have just gone out our front door and in the new door. I like this door a lot because to me it says, "I love you!"

6 comments:

debbie said...

I like your sentiments in that last sentence! And I like the MEE quote. So true!

Garling Ranch said...

Very nice! It is coming along quite nicely! I love the blanket...it is really pretty!

Darcee said...

It's true. . .we can't get happiness from other people's stuff, it can only come if we enjoy what we do have. And we have so much. A little trip to China could quickly put anyone of us in the US quickly in our places. For one thing we have our families. . .so many of them don't live with their families and wish they had siblings. And we are not spending our lives working monotonously in factories (that support our US habits) yet many of them are happier than we are. "Come what may and love it!"

Plus you'll have many bragging rights of what you lived through after it is finished :). Grandchildren will love to hear about it!

Kendi said...

Awesome! I am so happy for you. I did the same thing when we were building our home...walk into it and try to invision myself there when it was complete. What a rewarding feeling it will be to you when it is done, I can promise you that. Anything worthwhile takes time! I love you and I am grateful for your example!

e.brooke said...

I love Mary Ellen Edmunds!
She always makes me laugh!

She has a very good way of looking at trials in a positive and funny way!

I love your progress!

It makes me happy that you are all cozied in for the winter!

It will be so exciting to be done but I suppose you will cherish the memories of this progression time
forever!

MsMelodee said...

All things diffucult do eventually end. I am not sure how long this process has been since i am new to blogging, but it took us three years to remodel our house and it seemed like 30. It did however end and we have loved it for the last 9 years and now we are dreaming of all the changes we would like to make:)Enjoy, I am impressed with your progress. Thanks for the EEM quote, I love her!