Wednesday, November 4, 2009

About Me

It has been suggested by someone dear to me that I give an update on my health. Happily, things are going pretty well. I go to chemo every Tuesday. I have 3 weeks on and a week off (this is my week off! Love the weeks off!) The chemo I'm on does not make me loose my hair (When my cancer came back the 3rd time Dr. Dickson could tell I was so upset at the fact that I'd have to loose it yet again that he decided to give me a kind that would not cause alopecia.) I am on Herceptin and Gemzar. The good news is they are working. The first week that I was on them I watched as day by day the tumors shrunk and disappeared. The bad news is that I don't feel too terrific for a few days afterward. It is not debilitating, just annoying. I have learned that I feel much better if I keep something in my stomach.

Emotionally I am doing well also. I will probably be on some kind of chemo for the rest of my life. And truthfully, if I let myself dwell on it I get depressed. But it has become routine and not a big deal. Everyone has challenges. This may as well be mine for now (wish it would make me immune from other trials though!) And like I have said before, if anyone--especially my family--gains anything to help them in their struggles because of what I am called to go through, it will be worth every second of it. It is my prayer.

If you have questions I have not answered, leave me a comment and I will respond with another comment. Love to all!

7 comments:

e.brooke said...

You are amazing! I love you!
Your great attitude is a gift for all of us!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie,

thanks for the update. I'm grateful things are "routine". I so admire your strength and openness.
aunt k

Taralyn said...

You are sooo very beautiful Inside and Out!!! You don't deserve to go throught this but then again who does??? You are amazing and I am so glad you have a family that loves and supports you!!! For I KNOW you love and support them... You have always been the kindest most caring person!!! Thank You for the update...

Mark and Adrian said...

You are amazing. I gain so much strength by reading your posts. Thanks so much :)

debbie said...

Yay, I'm glad things are going relatively well. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We all need to gather strength from each other. You're incredible!

Darcee said...

So good. So good. So good. Enjoy your week off.

Unknown said...

I am so grateful for the rallying around that you are receiving. I am so grateful for you and for your sisterhood and love. The words for my emotions aren't present but I hope you can feel of my deep love and gratitude for you and for all that love and help you.