Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dr. Visit

Dennis and I talked to Dr. Dickson yesterday. He is not concerned about the spot under my breast bone that was picked up by the last 2 scans. (I told Dennis later that I am not scheduling a PET scan again without knowing that I will be able to meet with Dr. Dickson within a week of it. My scan was a month and a half ago and I have worried about it since then!) He said that a PET scans strength is also its weakness in that it picks up every little thing. It is very small and it has not grown much at all. Cancer can also grow a little and shrink a little over time and go back and forth that way. The chemo is working. Dr. D. said that when the chemo stops working we will know. At that point there are plenty of other options including a pill form of chemo. We stay with what works for as long as we can because you burn a bridge when you change and can never go back to that kind of chemo.

My next scan will be in June sometime.

Yesterday when I got up and said my prayers I prayed that I would be able to sit next to someone in the chemo room that I could help and encourage. I sat next to a gentleman who was getting chemo for the first time. He has colon cancer and lung cancer. I visited quite a bit with his wife. I remember how it felt getting chemo the first few times. It was very emotional and she was feeling that way. I enjoyed learning about them and talking to her.

It was especially wonderful to feel well enough to help Dennis fix dinner when we got home! And an even bigger bonus that everyone liked what we fixed--chicken pot pie. We had some Swiss chard that we got from Bountiful Baskets and I chopped some up to put in. I was worried that kids would turn up their noses at the green stuff in it. But they all wanted seconds!!!!

I must also add that I am so grateful it is 2010 and not 2009. Last year at this time I was had just had my first surgery. It was a long long summer. I mowed the lawn last week and it was simply joyful because I could not do it at all last year. What a difference a year makes!!!

4 comments:

David and Company said...

What great news! I have been so worried about you. I am glad to hear that the report from the Dr was positive.

e.brooke said...

My Brother Jason and wife Tiffany get the Bountiful Baskets...they love it!! It is such a great idea! I am excited that you guys participate! I would too if we had it up here!

Valerie Chandler said...

Katie- Thanks for your note! Just for the record, I could soooo easily write a long post titled, "The Amazing Katie!" In your blog, I can FEEL your love for your husband and children, and for homemaking and mothering. Sometimes when I read your posts I feel like I have been transported back to a time that is so serene, and pure, and simple, and focused on what really matters. You really are such a talented, faithful woman, and have carved out such a beautiful life for yourself, Dennis and your kids. I am grateful to know you, and am thankful for your good news today, too. Love to you--

Darcee said...

Yay for good news. I'm sure you're spreading lots of cheer in the chemo room. Your influence is going a long ways!