Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Changes

Yesterday we visited with Dr. Dickson.  Actually we accidentally went a day early.  The receptionist checked to see if she could get us in anyway.  It turns out we were in luck  blessed and there was a cancellation at that time.  As I mentioned Sunday, I have been loosing strength in my left hand.  Everyday I wake up and have less than the day before. Dr. D. was very concerned and said he was so glad I was there a day early because we could get the ball rolling on immediate treatment.  He said I have rapid-growing cancer in the lymph nodes in my clavical area and it is affecting nerves in my hand. He said that if not treated it would continue until my hand was totally useless.  So the plan of action is have radiation and start dexamethazone, a steroid that will control the swelling.  It is hoped that the cancer will respond to the radation (when I did radiation before, it did not respond.)  I am meeting with a radiation oncologist today and will discuss the length of my treatment--whether it be 2 weeks or 3 weeks.  I got an infusion of the dex at Dr. D.'s office and a an oral prescription for it for the next couple of weeks.   After radiation I will meet again with Dr. D. and discuss further treatment.  I had an MRI late yesterday afternoon so they can have a clear picture of what is going on.

I feel a ton of peace, the kind of peace that "passes understanding".  I totally trust the will of Heavenly Father. "He leads my in green pastures, safe-folded I rest."

I do hope for strength to return.  At this point I cannot type with my left hand or play the piano.  Sometimes on Sundays Jeffery and I will sit down and play hymns, each playing one hand.  That is very fun and I can do that with my right hand.   I still have fairly good grip also so I can do household work (darn it!!  hehe)  I'm okay!

2 comments:

Taralyn said...

I <3 You!!! I have such a great admiration for your strength and your Faith!!! You have always amazed me even 20+ years ago - you were the kindest and sweetest person!!! I am glad to have been able to spend SO MUCH time together in our "lab" - We had such a great time at school!!! :) Have a Wonderful Day!!!

debbie said...

You are awesome! Thanks for helping strengthen my faith!