Thursday, September 23, 2010

Radiation

I met with Dr. McAllister yesterday--he is the radiation oncologist.  He said he radiated my shoulder when I had radiation 3 years ago.  The rule is to never re-radiate an area.  In fact radiation could bring on the very problem we are trying to stop--the loss of my hand and arm.  But the benefit outweighs the risk so we are moving ahead.  I will start on Monday.  It will be a daily thing for 3 weeks, possibly 4.  (A breeze compared to the 6 weeks I did in '07!) I had to get set up for how I will lay during the treatments.  It has to be the exact same every time.  They wanted me to have my arms above my head.  But after 5 minutes of that I was in tears with pain in my left arm.  The tech went and asked the doc if was at all possible for me to have it with my arms down.  He said yes. I am so grateful.  They can use my tattoos they gave me last time to get me all lined up.  So I'm not sporting any new tattoos.

My hand continues to get weaker.  I was very discouraged as I fixed dinner last night.  It doesn't hurt, it is just very awkward and makes me want to cry.  I can not straighten out my hand and it drives me CRAZY!  On the plus plus plus side--it is not my right arm.  I am so so grateful for that!

8 comments:

Joddi said...

Hugs! Big Hugs!

Heidi said...

You are in my thoughts daily. I admire you, ache for you, and pray that God will sustain you in the minutes and hours you need it most. Love you, Katie!!!

Taralyn said...

Oh Dear Friend you are a Plus Plus Plus Plus!!!! <3

Valerie Chandler said...

...you're in my thoughts and prayers...

David and Company said...

Praying for you Katie. Please call me anytime if you need help with Mary. We would love to have her come over while you do treatments. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

The Normans said...

We love you Aunt Katie!

Mark and Adrian said...

Prayers and hugs coming your way!!!! Hang in there :)

Janeal said...

I admire how you always point out the bright side of things...arms down during radiation, no new tatoos, left arm. I will be praying for you!