Friday, February 13, 2009

Love Arrives Daily

I am so so amazed at the love shown to me all around. I get phone calls and cards in the mail, I have received packages and flowers. I know that some loving family members, Debbie, Kimberly and Janeen organized a "love train" for me. I feel kind of guilty that people are so nice to me! But I want you all to know how much comfort this all brings to me. Thank you so much for your kind service to me.


Regrettably I can not find one of the pictures of the first package I received. It was from my sister's sister-in-law, Laura Hartline who I have never met. She sent muffin mix, construction paper, stickers, a card game and other really fun things. Sorry Laura, that I can not locate the picture! We have really enjoyed the fun package. I'm still looking for the photo! Can't imagine where it went to. Thank you Laura!

These are some earrings from my cousin Dustin and his adorable family consisting of Whitney and Cade. I love the earrings so much! I have worn them a lot (notice them in the picture with my friends in my last post!) Thank you for your thoughtfulness Whitney and Dustin!
I was so amazed at this! A lady in our stake, Melanie Ipsen came by one afternoon with this porcelain figure that she had made for me. It just made me cry. What a thoughtful gift! One very early morning when I couldn't sleep I got up and sat on the couch to read my scriptures. I got the figure and put on the coffee table in front of me and just looked at it and cried and felt so loved. It was a very spiritual moment for me.
Funny story about the tulips. My cousin, Geri, visited me one day and brought them. It happened to be a day when a man from our ward, Jerry, came over to measure something in our new addition. When Dennis came home he asked me who brought the tulips. I told him Geri did. A couple of days ago he asked me if I had a thank you card that he could write to Jerry. In the card he told him thank you for the tulips. Fortunately I read the card before he sent it. I said, Jerry didn't give me the tulips. Why would Jerry give me tulips? Dennis thought that his wife, Dianne must have sent them over with him. I make all the cards I sent out and it was the only masculine card I had so poor Dennis just scribbled out the tulip part of it and wrote "oops". I told him that he could explain it to Jerry the next time he saw him. I know that Dianne reads my blog, so maybe you can have a good laugh, Dianne! Thank you Geri, for the tulips! They lasted a long time.
These flowers are from Joddi! I love all the variety! Thanks so much Joddi!

A Valentines package arrived last week from Janeal, my best friend growing up. I liked the nursery rhyme she included in her note to me. "Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold!" Her package was filled with such fun stuff. My girls loved it just as much as I did! Thank you Janeal!
Beautiful flowers were delivered to my house today from a local floral shop. They are from my cousin and fellow double cancer survivor, Ken and his wife April. Thank you!
In addition to all of this we have had many offers to help with our children, more than we can possibly accept. We have had food brought to us every Thursday as well as other times. Others have offered financial assistance. It is all very humbling. I think that this is one of the blessings of cancer. You find out how much people care about you! It is nothing short of amazing!
And another wonderful blessing , coupled with all the service, is, as Danna put it, a walk with God. Indeed. Such a blessing.
Thank you, thank you for all you do for me and for your prayers and faith in my behalf. We saw Dr. Hancock yesterday. The chemo has started doing it's job. The tumor seems to be responding. I got more chemo yesterday and have felt a bit wiped out today. But thank goodness for progress! My mom has had Drew and Mary since Wednesday night. We have missed them terribly. But it has been nice to have them cared for by Mom. Drew doesn't want to come home tomorrow!
Also, my hair is starting to fall. I had quite the handfuls today when I washed it. I'm grateful for the availablity of cute wigs. I have an appointment with the wig lady on Monday. I'm not loosing it as fast as did before. So I may still have hair for another week or so. But I have the familair ache of my scalp like before when it came out. I keep debating on the wig. I will probably know better by Monday what is happening. I am still hoping to keep my own hair. But if it only thins and it thins a lot, I will want a wig anyway. I don't know...

7 comments:

Katie and Dennis said...

I don't know what it is about the last paragraph of some of my blogs. I can't get it to make paragraph breaks. It quite bothers me. But I just wanted it to be known I have been back in there repeatedly to fix the spacing and it just won't do it for me!

Darcee said...

Hopefully you don't lose your hair, but get a wig anyway. . . it will make you feel better!

I'm thankful you've felt an outpouring of love. People are so good!

debbie said...

Yay! I'm so glad the treatment is working! You continue to be in our prayers! And thanks for posting about the blessings of cancer. I think it's important to remember that the Lord blesses, especially in our times of trial. Love you!

Janeal said...

Katie, I'm so glad you and your girls enjoyed my package! I had so much fun putting it together. I got your cute thank you note this week, it brighted my day. My thoughts and prayers are continually with you.

nielsen said...

I remember my mom's hair falling out in handfuls... kids have such vivid memories of certain things. I also remember her waxing her eyebrows... she would say "ouch" after ripping the wax off and then they were flaming red...I remember thinking why does she do that... now I know. Girls are funny about girl stuff... it's ok, it's how we're made. I'm with Darcee... get a wig just in case you'll know it's there just in case. Happy Valentine's Day!

MsMelodee said...

That is so wonderful to see how kind people can be! It is so incredible...I am so glad you have so much suppport around you. You are so positive! I hope you find a fun wig...you can be a lady of mystery:) We are thinking of you!

MsMelodee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.