Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Tender Mercy

I saw the doctor on Thursday. He was so excited to know that things are getting better with the tumor, no more oozing and it seems to be shrinking. He did consider giving me a week off from chemo but that was before he looked at it. However when he looked at it he said, "Write in your journal today that we have received a tender mercy. This is what I have been praying for." He and so so many others. Thanks you all for your prayers. I can feel them in my behalf.

So I got chemo and am feeling a bit wiped out--but hanging in here pretty good. I asked Dr. Dickson what the future holds as far as treatment goes. He said he didn't know for sure but what he is hoping is 3-6 months of chemo, more likely 6, then surgery, then a maintenance chemo. I did the maintenance chemo for a year last time and it was when I went off of it that he thinks the cancer came back. I didn't ask but I may be in for quite a long haul on that.

It was a nice day on Thursday albeit long. My mom came and picked me up and we dropped off my kids at a friend's. My dad happened to be working in Driggs that day so he came for a while. My mom had met Dr. Dickson before but this was my dad's first time. When I got there they accessed my port and then we waited for the doctor. After the doctor visit my parents went and got some lunch for us while I got started on my chemo. Mom and I ate our lunch in the chemo room but Dad had to take off. I was so sleepy so I spent a lot of time with my eyes closed. In total we were at the office from 11:30 to 4:45. That is typical when I have a visit with the doctor.

We picked up the kids and went home to a lovely meal from our neighbors. Dennis had parent teacher conference so he was gone late but Camille helped get everyone in their pajamas and started a movie for the little ones. I went to bed. Jeffrey and Brandon had a church ball game.

One very exciting thing that happened that day: We got insulation in our new addition! Sheet rock is next!

And I guess I should do a hair update. It is coming out by the handfulls. But I'm not shaving it off yet. I can wear a long scarf around it and make it look pretty cute. It seems kind of amazing that I can loose so much but still have so much left! My part is just getting wider. :-)

6 comments:

DB said...

Great news that it seems to be responding! Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, we pray for you daily.

Darcee said...

Thanks for the update, sorry you have to sacrifice so much to conquer this, but Heavenly Father makes it all up some how. Thank you to all of the neighbors who take care of you!

Andi said...

I'm glad chemo went well. I always think about you lots on Thursdays and wonder how chemo is going. Wish I could be there. Love you!

Unknown said...

I am so grateful that your body is starting to respond to the chemo. I'm sorry about your hair though. You're beautiful no matter what!

Kendi said...

Yea such good news!

I am sorry about you losing your hair but if it saves your life...My son was complaining this morning about his hair and I told him how he needs to be grateful for what he has. I shared with him your story and I didn't hear him complain anymore! Thank you for your example of strength and courage. I hope you know that I love you!!

MsMelodee said...

Thank Heaven for Tender Mercies! I am amazed at all do! It is great to hear the good news...thanks for sharing.