Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ode to Girlfriends


I got a call on Monday while I was waiting for Drew at the dentist from Joddi (left). She and Carolee (right)had read my last blog entry and wanted to come over and visit me for hair appreciation week and take pictures. When I got home they showed up with a photographer in the form of Gus (age 7). (It just dawned on me we should have taken a picture of him! He was so cute standing on a chair shooting away at us! He is Joddi's son, by the way.)

If I could have a wish it would be that everyone could have the kind of friends that Joddi and Carolee are to me. They have been such great support to me in my battles with cancer (and in other times as well). They listen, counsel, love me and make me laugh.

Joddi is not unfamiliar with cancer. Her mom died when she, Joddi, was 11 of a brain tumor. I think when I got cancer and then got it again (which is exactly what happened to her mom), it hit her harder than it hit me. Carolee and Joddi lived in the same ward--but a different ward than we all live in now--when Joddi's mom died. Carolee's mom was part of a wonderful group of ladies in that ward who loved and nurtured Joddi, her brother and sister as much as they could. Joddi is so thoughtful and full of compassion. She always seems to know what to do to help.

Carolee and I have been walking together for almost 10 years. We go at 5:30 in the morning which sounds so crazy! But we really enjoy visiting and hardly notice that we are exercising. Wisdom and perception are two of her many gifts. I always feel that I receive sound counsel from her.

I think that the Lord definitely had a hand in the three of us living on the same road and becoming such good friends. I love them so much. Thanks Girlfriends for all you do for me!!!

4 comments:

Kendi said...

You are looking good! I think about you all the time and I hope that things are going okay for you.

Friends are treasures and I am so glad that you have found two that are priceless! They are lucky to know you too!

Darcee said...

You're very blessed to have girlfriends close by. Glad you have people to take care of you.

Darcee said...

Just came across this poem and thought I'd share.

What Cancer Can Not Do
Author Unknown
Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.

Garling Ranch said...

I love this picture! I look up to all of you so much, and to see you all in a picture together makes my heart swell. It is truly a blessing you all live so close, and I feel blessed being able to be in the same ward as you all. You are such amazing examples to me! Thanks for your strength and wonderful example!