Monday, February 2, 2009

Reassurance

Last week my wonderful friend, (who also happens to be the chorister for Sacrament meeting,) Dian Kelly called me to see if I had any special songs I would like to have sung for opening and closing hymns in Sacrament meeting. I requested two of my favorites. I forgot all about this until yesterday when we sang them. I was touched again by the beautiful words and felt comforted by a loving Heavenly Father.

I first heard this hymn right after we were married when we sang it with our ward choir. It was during the time my aunt LaRue was going through cancer and it was a great comfort to me at that time.

Children of Our Heavenly Father
Hymn #299

Children of our Heav'nly Father
Safely in his bosom gather;
Nestling bird nor star in heaven
Such a refuge e'er was given.
Neither life nor death shall ever
From the Lord his children sever;
Unto them his grace he showeth,
And their sorrows all he knoweth.
Though he giveth or he taketh,
God his children ne'er forsaketh;
His the loving purpose solely
To preserve them pure and holy.

I also love the scripture references below the Hymn (and the first one was even quoted in our meeting yesterday).

D&C 61:36
...be of good cheer, little children for I am in your midst, and I have not forsaken you....

Psalms 145:9,14-20
The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
The Lord upholdeth all that fall, and raiseth up all those that be bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon thee; and thou giveth them their meat in due season.
Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.
The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon him, to all that call upon him in truth.
He will fulful the desire of them that fear him: he also will hear their cry, and will save them.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

This next hymn reminds me of growing up in Whitney. Sister Lorina Benson played it one time on the organ for her testimony. If I remember right, her husband Orville sang while she played. I have loved it ever since.

Jesus, Lover of My Soul
Hymn #102
Jesus, lover of my soul,
Let me to thy bosom fly,
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is high.
Hide me, O my Savior hide,
Till the storm of life is past.
Safe into the haven guide;
Oh receive my soul at last.
Other refuge have I none;
Hangs my helpless soul on thee.
Leave, oh, leave me not alone;
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on thee is stayed;
All my help from thee I bring.
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of thy wing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Katie,
I listened to a talk by Gene R. Cook yesterday called "The Love of God: Suffering Tribulation in the Redeemer's Name." It's a BYU Devotional. I think you would really enjoy it. He talks about how suffering is a gift from the Lord.
He tearfully shared the following: "All of my adult life I have suffered with very difficult health problem, some of which have been life-threatening. What lessons were taught in the process of all those years! I believe they could not have been learned any other way. They have helped me be more Christlike. Truly the Lord knows the end from the beginning and will tutor, correct, mold, and even refine you in the furnace of affliction. He will do so until He has accomplished His purposes in purifying you, sanctifying you, and helping you draw closer to Him.
"These kinds of gifts from the Lord are not always easy to understand, but I count them as priceless gifts to me and my family."
How much the Lord trusts you with this gift of affliction, Katie. You likely rejoiced to receive it before coming to earth.
Thank you for your faith. You are indeed a light to me and all who know you.
I love you dearly.
Love, Danna

MsMelodee said...

I am so inspired by your strength. Thank you for sharing! Our thoughts are with you!

Katie and Dennis said...

Danna,
I talked with Becky, my nurse yesterday about her husband dying. She told me that while she would never want to go through all that again she is very grateful that she did. She has such a peaceful manner about her and she was a joy and comfort for me to visit with. I'm sure that is part of the reason we go through our trials, so we can support and love others who are suffering. I guess in a way gives credibility to our words of comfort. It also gives us a confidence in ourselves and in the Lord, as you said it makes us feel like the Lord trusts us to give us these afflictions. And there are such tender mercies that I am so so grateful for!