Tuesday, March 2, 2010

FLOOD!

Yesterday after chemo I came home and went to bed. Dennis was doing dinner and taking care of things. But around 5:45 I did not know he had gone to take Brandon to a baseball meeting. Suddenly I heard rushing water! It sounded like it was down in the ductwork and I paniced. Sure enough when I ran to what we call the kids' bathroom the plug was in the tub, the water was on full blast and was running over the top! (Since no one would claim responsibility, we are blaming poor Mary.) Anyway, I called Dennis because I know there is a way to use the shop vac to suck up water. Meanwhile Camille and Alexa were doing their best to mop up with towels. Jeffrey did all the shop vacuuming including down inside the duct and I thought we were done. No problem.

But after sufficient time for Dennis to drop off Brandon and get home from town, he came hurrying in. He discovered that the water had run down and was flooding into the insulation under the house. Fortunately the insulation is covered by heavy black plastic and it was holding the water. He punctured it and got a couple of buckets full of water drained out of it. He also sucked out a lot more water from the vent in our living room which takes a dive and that is why I could hear rushing water in my room.

Here is the scene of the crime. Dennis also pulled out the drawers and vacuumed water that had run under the cabinetry.

Sucking out the the base of the "waterfall".

I'm so grateful Jeffrey helped out so much! I did not have to much more than supervise.

4 comments:

debbie said...

Oohh! Yikes! I really wouldn't know what to do. I'm glad everything worked out OK.

e.brooke said...

A horribly exciting day! I am glad that you have so many great helpers!!!

David and Company said...

Oh dear. That is horrible. Glad everything turned out ok. Those little ones sure so know how to put the excitement in a day.

Darcee said...

That's way too much excitement for me! We had a mini flood a week or so ago that we discovered midnightish while getting Tessie a drink of water. But thankfully ours was contained in the kitchen on the tile. Glad you got it all cleaned up.