I went for chemo yesterday and got the results of my PET scan that was performed a week ago. Here is what it says in part: "There is intense FDG activity corresponding to an intramammary lymph node posterior to the sternum on the left.... This has increased in intensity when compared to the prior scan. Previously this had a maximum SUV value of 7.7, now it is 12.0. The nodule has increased only minimally in size. There is also a focus of increased activity at the same level but to the right of midline, and again likely an intramammary lymph node. Small foci of increased activity along the intramammary chain, left and right, likely due to matastatically involved lymph nodes."
The nurse just handed me the paper and said the doctor will discuss it with me on my next visit. So I'm assuming, based on my experiences from the past that this is not something to worry about and does not change my treatment because I had the same chemo yesterday as I normally do. I know that PET scans can pick up things that are not neccessarily problems. The nurse did say that sometimes even the chemo can cause things to look positive for cancer when in fact it is a false positive. (I wish I knew what FDG is and I'm 100% sure that SUV is not sports utility vehicle! I'll ask all that in 2 weeks.)
A few months ago my doctor said that typically with my kind of cancer it is not a matter of if the cancer comes back but when. I try not to think about that. I like to think that there is a miracle coming my way.
But if it does come back I have to change from my current to chemo to something different I will likely not be so lucky to keep my hair. At the moment I count it a wonderful blessing to have hair. I just feel freakish without it. I think Heavenly Father, in his eternal kindness is allowing me this very tender mercy. So I try to remember to be happy for hair everyday (I still have my fair share of bad hair days but let me assure they beat the heck out of no hair days!)
So today I'm laying around taking it easy. I'm grateful I can. And I know that tomorrow will be better! Dennis did most of the cleaning up before he left for work. He also drove me yesterday and inspite of where we went and what happened it is always wonderful to get to spend the day with him. Last week he took me to my PET scan also. I feel bad he is missing so much school but he assures me that it is just fine. What would I do without him? I rely on him so much!
5 comments:
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I can imagine it is not easy to keep posting. But, I want you to know that we continually check on your blog and love reading about you and your family. It in another blessing that we have to share experiences even though we are away. Thank you for your continued love, strength, and support for all of us!
Love,
Amanda Bingham
Yay for Dennis! He is a huge blessing! I hope the results mean everything is OK and that you can keep your hair. You are always in my prayers.
I hate this! I don't even know what to say but I hate that you are fighting cancer! Can I just say that?! I'm sorry. I love you, Katie.
Prayers are said for you daily in this household. I would like to think of a miracle also.
Katie, Please know how very much you are thought of and admired by our family. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you at times. I'll never forget a post you made about drinking the bitter cup without becoming bitter...I see you striving to do that...You are such a beautiful woman, hair or no hair. You are so very loved!
Post a Comment