For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand, …
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.
How Firm a Foundation, Hymn #85
This hymn came to my mind often when I was on my mission. It was again to strengthen me during my struggles with cancer and remind me I am not alone.
Today I will attempt to write a few of the things I have learned from cancer.
1.Prayer matters and matters a lot. Especially during the very stressful times I could feel people's prayers for me. It always helps my heart to hear people say they are praying for me. And I hear it often. I think our names have been put on the temple prayer roll for 3 years now. It just makes me feel so loved.
2. People care about silly little me. And they are so generous.
The out pouring of love I received was unbelievable. My ward fasted for me. After my second diagnosis, my community and my family had benefits for me. Countless hours were spent planning and carrying out these amazing events. Friends and family sent me packages. Babysitting, house cleaning, meals and other services were provided for my family. Some people pass on without knowing how loved they are. I will never have to wonder. I know.
3. Earthly and heavenly help is available for the asking.
My dear friend, Luana's husband had been through cancer some years earlier. She told me I would receive drop down blessing straight from heaven. She was right. She herself was in the right place at the right time to be such a blessing for me. She called me on a critical day at the very minute I needed her. Her counsel and reassurance had far-reaching effects.
My mom was prompted to quit work at the end of 2008. Two weeks after her last day, I found out my cancer was back. She helped me in so many ways!
4. Sometimes prayers I have not even prayed are answered.
I stressed so much that I was unable to nurse Mary. A family that was new in our ward sent me an email offering goat's milk for Mary. I think Heavenly Father knew how I would feel and he provided a way for me to feel better about Mary's food. To me it was no accident that they had just moved here and could help me in that very special way.
5. I am learning that life is better if I don't complain. That one has taken me awhile. It was made very clear to me a couple of weeks ago that I needed to stop complaining. I am trying. I am trying.
6. Reading the scriptures, and other church publications help immensely. There is such peace in the scriptures. I love them.
7. There is joy in the journey. As Dennis and I waited in a room to meet Dr. Dickson we heard him in the next room joking and laughing with another patient. Dennis and I were astounded. "How can anyone laugh and be happy in a place like this?", we wondered. Well, we've learned. We came out from under the cloud and the sun was shining, revealing all our blessings.
"You are a child of God with great strength. You have the ability to choose righteousness and happiness, no matter what your circumstances."
For the Strength of Youth pamplet
8.Heavenly Father and Jesus are real. They watch over and care for us tenderly. They are anxious to bless us. Challenges give us opportunities to be humble. My sister put it best by calling it "your walk with God."
7 comments:
Thank You, Katie. This was very insightful. I know God would have us see His Hannd in our lives. Truly there are many tender mercies even in the thickest most trying times of our lives. Beautiful post.
All true. . . still learning, applying and relearning but I know for myself that all of those things are true.
Much love....
Katie, thank you, thank you, thank you! Your words have been sent at just the right time for me. THANK YOU! We love you! Amanda B.
I love these insights!
Katie, your words are so powerful and sincere. Thank you for letting me learn with you through this journey, I admire your courage and faith.
You have such a sweet testimony of Christ and the gospel. It is wonderful that you were able to see the good in all your trials, and turn to the Lord for help. You are an amazing example to me.
Thank you for this wonderful list, Katie. These are things we all need to remember. Thank you for your example.
Post a Comment