Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hoping for New Balance




Mary helping mix pizza dough.
 

Doing dishes (by force!!)
 It has been strange and different lately.   It feels like I've entered a new stage in life.  It sort of seems like things have started counting more.  That can be good I suppose.  But it has been a huge struggle.  I have always had very high expectations of myself.  I also seem to lack much of a sense of humor to help balance that out.  I have worked very hard to try to feel self esteem in this arena and with a lot of prayer I have made progress.  So in these past couple of weeks it feels like a huge back slide for me. 

My expectations are up, way up.  A lot is at stake here, or so it feels.  What will my kids remember?

I seem to just blow up.  Yikes! Just as an example,  I make too big of a deal that the one armed mother is preparing dinner for eight and 4 able-bodied children ignore the calls to help.  And how come they don't just pitch in?  I also tire easily and feel guilty about needing so much rest. 

So I am trying extra hard.  Praying, praying for help to do it right. 

Don't take me wrong.  It is not life on the rock pile.  I have a great life and so many blessings!!!!!!!!!  I am sorry for sounding so negative.  But this situation has caught me off guard and I just wanted to explain it a bit.

Thanks for listening.

9 comments:

Darcee said...

I hear you. Just regular life is hard even when both arms are in working order. It reminds me of this quote from Elder Maxwell: "Spiritual submissiveness includes our acceptance of the ups and downs of life. We experience a mix of these universal challenges individually. Routine and general though they be, coping with routine afflictions requires real faith, for faith is needed daily and not only for extremity"

Prayers are being sent for you. Hang in there. I love you.

Janice said...

Your kids will know how to do things in the kitchen that need to be done, although it may not be something they want to learn. They will learn service to you, although it is easier for them not to serve. It is hard for you to sit back and let them serve you, but that too needs to be learned. Oh, life and its challenges! Trust the Lord that this too is part of the plan. I love you and your family! You can do it!

Janice said...

I forget to say I like Mary's bangs. She looks so grown up and CUTE!

Angela said...

I too, have a hard time finding humor in the daily challenges of life. I find that I'm mostly too hard on myself when I fall short or have a relapse, expecting perfection. I too, want my children to learn what they need to and wonder that if I am suddenly taken from this life, will what I have taught my children be enough? I pray and then go forward in faith. I think from what little I have observed, that you are doing a marvelous job! I love your honesty and desire to do what's right. The recent talk in General Conference by the General Primary President, Sister Rosemary M. Wixom gave; gave me hope and assurance when she said,

" When we are holding tight to the iron rod, we are in a position to place our hands over theirs and walk the strait and narrow path together. Our example is magnified in their eyes. They will follow our cadence when they feel secure in our actions. We do not need to be perfect—just honest and sincere. Children want to feel as one with us. When a parent says, “We can do it! We can read the scriptures daily as a family,” the children will follow!"

My sister Heidi once put it into good prespective when she said, "Our children need to hear "I'm sorry" coming from us. They need to see mommy say she made a mistake and put herself into time-out too." I think I get so caught up in being the example, that sometimes I forget that another great example I can set for my children is telling them sorry, admitting when I'm wrong and then sincerely trying to repent and moving on! I'm so glad I have your blog to check on you! I love your posts, I always feel the spirit when I read them. You are a great example to me, thank-you.

Unknown said...

I, too, love and appreciate your honesty. I feel uplifted and strengthened by Angela's comment. It's so nice to feel understood and accepted in the challenges of life.

You have a wonderful family, Katie, and you are doing a wonderful job. I feel that every time I'm with you and your family.

Heidi said...

Sweet Katie! What were you doing posting so early in the morning? We ALL have days where we wish our kids were able to sense and respond to the needs of others--especially if we are the ones having a bad day and would benefit from their help. I think we feel the most frustration of having to deal with our own limitations and weaknesses because of our battle with the natural man. The Lord knows our hearts and your heart is brilliantly glorious! I have no doubt your children will forever be blessed because of You!
Love You!

Janeal said...

Katie, I also get frustrated with my children who are often slow to help with household chores, even when asked and reminded repeatedly. I wish they would see the need and jump in to help. I don't think it is wrong to expect this of them, we wouldn't be responsible parents if we didn't teach our children to work, contribute to the household and be helpful. I guess the trick is being patient and tolerant and positive. So very difficult at times!

e.brooke said...

Well that explains it!

I was wondering where all that yelling was coming from!

;) Hee!

I love you!

Katie and Dennis said...

I have the best friends! Thank you all so much for your love and encouragement. Love ya so much!