Tuesday I saw a physical therapist about my lymphadema. She said we caught it very early it is so good. Most to all of my swelling can be controlled with a compression sleeve. They gave me a glove that has taken down the swelling in my hand. I do not mind because it helps with the pain. Pain pills are a life savers too!
After meeting with her I had my radiation and then met with my radiation oncologist, Dr. McAllister. I like him. He is personable and open. The result of the MRI that I had confirmed what Dr. Dickson thought, that the cancer is growing around the nerve in the brachial plexus. The nerve starts in the back of my shoulder an goes under the collar bone in the front and down my arm. I am on a reduced dose of radiation to that area to hopefully kill that cancer and save the nerve. Hopefully I will get the use of my hand back, but it will not be a speedy thing it sounds like and may even take longer to see results longer than getting all my radiation. I am in my second week of a 4-week treatment plan--no changes yet in improvement.
The radiation is not bad at all. I lay on this "bed" that they move with a control. I lay on a mold they made me the first day so it is easier to always have the same position. They line up all my tattoos to make sure they are in exactly the right spot. Then everyone leaves the heavily-doored room (except me, of course) and the radiation is turned on for about 25 seconds from as nearly as my one-Mississippi, two Mississippi method tells me. Then I'm done.
The radiation is not bad at all. I lay on this "bed" that they move with a control. I lay on a mold they made me the first day so it is easier to always have the same position. They line up all my tattoos to make sure they are in exactly the right spot. Then everyone leaves the heavily-doored room (except me, of course) and the radiation is turned on for about 25 seconds from as nearly as my one-Mississippi, two Mississippi method tells me. Then I'm done.
I asked Dr. McAllister a couple of question I have never dared ask. I sort of asked how long....? I don't know why I have not ever asked. Part of the reason is because I do not think there is an answer, no one can know that!. And of course, assuming someone really does know the answer, I don't think I really want to know, but at the same time I do want to know. Sounds very conflicting and let me assure you that that is true! He said he can not predict the next 10 minutes let alone the next ten years. (That is true for every person on earth!) He said that I have the disease that will eventually take my life and treatments will not save me (well perhaps on the short term--we are relying on faith and prayers in that departmart--and the will of the Lord.) He also said that a lot, a lot of people live many, many years with this. It sounds good to me! That is what I pray for, to have many more years. I continue on the path of preparation. But I have so much to live for. So many reasons to be happy. And I am happy, I have been given a great gift, We all know our time to meet our Savior will come. No one knows when that will be. But it has been made clear to me that I need to tuck in loose edges. I need to be careful how I spend my time. I need to make lasting memories with my family and friends. I need to repent daily. I need my kids and my husband to know that I adore them. I need them to know that they are strong and good and can weather difficult storms. They need to know that Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father love them more than they can possibly understand. But they can understand enough to know that they will be taken care of and watched over.
That is the nut shell version. We go up and down. We do need listening ears. We are the recipients of much service. (For example I LOVE comments on my blog, three minute phone calls, rides to radiation-- stuff like that.) Thanks so much to all of you out there who love and support us daily. We are doing very well.
11 comments:
Thanks for the update. It's fascinating to me to learn about the cancer treatment process (tattoos, molds, etc.) and it's humbling for me to learn about the living process we all must go through. Your comments on peace, repentance, the Atonement, the importance of family, etc. touched me because those are important things in my challenges too. Thanks for strengthening me.
It is so refreshing, timeless and encouraging to read your posts Katie! I am so glad that you have a bright and shining hope, you certianly deserve to receive the very thing you give to all of us!!! We love you!!!
You really are an inspiration and I pray daily for you and your family! I had a lady in my ward get diagnosed with cancer- she is 28. I know that you are so positive and uplifting and I know you have influenced many along your path! I wish you the best of luck!!!
i also meant to say i gave her your blog address :)
You are so strong! Prayers and hugs coming your way
So glad the glove is helping with the pain! Hugs from here!
I love you, Katie, and treasure your posts and phone calls. Thank you so much for sharing your life and example with me. To know you is to love you. How you have blessed my life and continue to do so!
Katie--
I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. But you are such an example of faith to all of us. I'm glad you have such a wonderful husband and beautiful children. As I've followed your blog, I think you have made choices that have given you just about the perfect life. So Heavenly Father has allowed you to have a challenge that only polishes the crown on your head to a brilliant shine to prepare you for the greatness that lies ahead in the eternities for your family.
You were such a huge influence on my testimony when you served in my branch and I'll always be grateful to you for that.
Keep smiling. We're praying for you.
Tiffany
Aunt Katie
Thank you so much for the posts you leave on your blog. I feel renewed and strengthened after I read the thoughts you write. You and Uncle Dennis are such examples of faith to me and I appreciate your amazing examples. Know that you are in so many of our thoughts and prayers! Love you!
Mandy
Katie, I am very humbled by your post. It is true that none of us know when our time will come to meet our Savior. Every moment of this life is precious. I needed this reminder to spend my time wisely, to daily repent, to create memories with those I love, and to tell them often. Beautifully written, thank you.
I tried to leave a comment the other day (had a really good one written!!). I only have access to blogs, etc. between 11-1 at work and I guess I just barely missed the window and my comment didn't get posted. I so enjoy keeping up with the lives of family members as they share on their blogs. I guess I am just a "lurker" and don't usually leave comments and never update mine. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us who read you blog. Know how much you are loved by me and my family.
Love you lots, Aunt Nancy
Post a Comment