I’ve been contemplating about what I said about Jeffrey in my last entry. I have wondered if I was being mean and insensitive. I have wondered if people reading this would think, "What a rude mom!" I'm going to leave it because of my intentions, which I will explain, even though maybe (hopefully) I don’t even have to, as in maybe it came across the way I intended it.
I was trying to point out one of Jeffrey’s gifts. He is happy! He lets things roll off his back. And I think most of the time he doesn’t even notice things that would bother most people. I am so glad that Jeffrey goes out for track and cross country. It is so good for him and I hope he will always strive for his personal best in all aspects of his life.
So I've been contemplating strengths and weaknesses (I think I do this often.) Raising children has taught me much. I remember as a child hearing that sometimes our greatest strengths can be our greatest weaknesses. I didn’t understand that at all! Now I can see clearly how, for example, an easy going child can also tend settle for mediocrity. I’ve also watched, in some of my children, how a certain zealousness can be wonderful but if not kept in check extreme frustration can set in. Watching my children also sometimes causes some painful searching within myself.
Well, it is all good. And a loving Heavenly Father knows what he is doing. He gave us strengths or gifts and he also gave us weaknesses to overcome to make us better and more fit to serve in the kingdom. I was listening to the worldwide training meeting yesterday. There is so much wonderful counsel given there. Along with so many other things, this quote by Sister Tanner really hit me:
"On the subject of rearing children, we will probably have people in our audience who are going to start feeling bad about themselves. The discrepancy between the ideal and the reality of everyday life sometimes seems very large to us as mothers and fathers. But I know that being a mother or father is an eternal role, an eternal calling, and that with that calling, as with any calling, we are blessed with a mantle. We need that mantle, and we need the spirit of that mantle with us constantly as we rear our children. In fact, I think that we, like Elisha, need a double portion of that spirit as we rear our children (see 2 Kings 2:9). I know Heavenly Father will bless us with that. These are His children, and He will bless us with a double portion of the spirit as we seek to rear them in righteousness."
I have to admit that I don't know exactly what a "double portion" of the spirit is. But it sounds very much like something I'd like to have, like one of those "best gifts." (D&C 46:8) I pray to be so blessed!!!!
3 comments:
I did not feel you were being mean or demeaning at all. I think we can be honest without being degrading and I think that's what you did. I believe people relate better to realism than perfection. I felt of your love for Jeffrey and that you are one of his greatest cheerleaders!
I also appreciated you comment on zealousness. It is a subject I have been pondering and journaling much about.
You are a terrific mom as are your children terrific as well. Thank you for your honesty and "realness."
I am so glad that you didn't have her address. If I knew that she was getting something like this and I was left out I would be so sad. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad to be able to get to know your family. I love their strong testamonies that they so willingly share. Hearing theirs helps mine grow. Thanks again and tell them that I love them.
Karma
This is very informative. Thank you for relaying all this great information! Also, that is great the Jeffery did so well at his track meet!
Post a Comment