Friday, August 29, 2008

I am all done!

Yesterday I went to Rexburg for my last cancer treatment. I have been on a "light-weight" chemo called Herceptin for a year now. I had to go every 3 weeks and the treatment took about an hour (although toward the last they sped them up for me so they only took 1/2 hour.) Dennis couldn't take me yesterday because he is in his first week of school. So I asked my mom to come with me for my last time. She was happy to come and we had a fun day! Thanks goes to Julianna for tending Drew and Mary yesterday. She also helped with my kids numerous times throughout the year.
One day toward the beginning of my year of Herceptin, I was grumbling to myself about having to go do this thing. But I think the Spirit touched my heart and helped me to be calm about it. Plus! Dennis always took me (with the exception of only twice). I love spending the day with my husband and we got to do it every 3 weeks for a year. I will truly miss these days with Dennis. For the most part it was actually a pleasant experience. (That said, I'm NOT recommending it!)


This is my doctor's office and where I went for chemo.Here is the infusion room. Around the edges are 10 chairs (recliners) where the *lucky* recipient of chemo sits. On the left is Brenda. I should have taken a picture of all the nurses (they are all wonderful!) But I didn't think about it. I am the first person I ever saw take pictures here. No one probably thinks about it or even wants to...Now we are looking at the other end of the room and the nurses station. I think they have storage up those stairs.

I had to go on my birthday. My girls came that day. Camille took this picture.I have a port that I got the chemo through. I will get it removed toward the end of September.

Behind the building is this waterfall. You can see it from the chemo room windows. Camille took this picture also.

This is my graduation diploma and gift. It is an I.V. bottle with M&Ms in it. They said they put so many bad things in me that now they were giving me something good. I thought that was cute.

24 comments:

debbie said...

Yay! I'm glad you're done with the chemo. And I'm glad you got to spend so much time with Dennis this year. That is a blessing in and of itself.

Darcee said...

Congratulations on being finished! There are always blessings amidst the trials--the key is recognizing them, which unfortunately, I sometimes have a hard time doing. You look like Aunt Ilene in one of the pictures. (can you tell which one?)

Congrats again!

Katie and Dennis said...

Nope, I can't see that I look like Aunt Ilene. You'll have to tell me which picture. :-)

Garling Ranch said...

Yeah! Way to go on being done finally! Cancer is one of people's most feared and common illnesses (or whatever they classify it as). I am glad you are done with having to get all that yucky stuff done to you. I wouldn't wish that onto anyone! Way to fight hard and make life worth it for you and your family. You are a very strong woman, and it is good to see you doing so well after such a great challenge in your life.

Janice said...

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! Good job done! I thank the Lord you have been blessed to make this journey so successfully. My prayers have been answered.
Love you,
Mom

Darcee said...

It's the one with Dennis, Mary, Alexa and you.

Anonymous said...

Kate,

Thanks for your courage, faith and patience. You have been an inspiration to me and I hope I can face difficulty with such grace. I love you much.

Dad

The Porter's said...

Katie I'm so jealous that you're reading Breaking Dawn. I had to wait 3 months for Eclipse from the library. I may break down and just buy this one in hard back.

Good job on the chemo too :]

Katie and Dennis said...

You can borrow mine, Kelsie. Dennis gave it to me for my birthday. How should I get it to you? I really liked it (more than I thought I would, actually! I don't know why but I was afraid it would end stupid.)

Kendi said...

You are my hero!!! What an example you are to all of us!
Love,
Kendi

Anonymous said...

Katie,

So glad that you are finished with your treatments!! I think we should do lunch to celebrate!

Joddi

DB said...

Congratulations on finishing!

Andi said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you are done and you are looking beautiful!

Janeal said...

Katie, I'm so happy for you and your family. Thanks for sharing your "good news minute"!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are done and are we going to have a party

Unknown said...

Words can't express my feelings. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Congradulations
what a wonderful documentation, Thank you for sharing. very inspiring and gives us all a great out look on life. when challenges come look up and take it with pictures. Love ya and well done
Aunt Dixie

Valerie Chandler said...

Katie-- Thanks for sharing your news. What a blessing. You have been so very graceful and grateful.

And Greg says, "That is really great news."

I enjoy a peek into your world with your blog, Katie. It's fun to see your family and your really happy life.

--Valerie (and Greg) Chandler

Jan said...

Katie. I too wanted to say congratulations!!! My mom has been giving me little updates. I thought I could tell you congrats myself though.

Anonymous said...

awesome

Anonymous said...

jealous

Anonymous said...

yum

Anonymous said...

pictures cool

Anonymous said...

cancer is going to happen again
soothsayer