Friday, October 24, 2008
Beet Harvest
I always find harvest time fascinating. I don't know why, but it is fun to see all the trucks driving by full of grain, potatoes or beets. Today it is going on all around our house!
This was actually last night. You can see the silhouette of a tractor in the far right. There was other farm equipment around, but it didn't show up in the picture.
The farmer, a friend of ours, came to the door this morning to ask where the property line is. I wondered if he saw me taking pictures and thought I was mad that they were over the line (and they weren't, we just mow to the edge of where they plant to keep the weeds short). After that I tried to be more stealth about taking pictures. I only had blogging in mind.
I don't know how it all works but I think this tractor tops the beets.
Then this one dumps the beets into the truck. I don't know which tractor actually digs them up out of the ground.
It takes a lot of trucks! They drive the beets to the beet dump a few miles away. That would be an interesting picture. If I get down that way I will try to remember my camera. They have huge, huge piles of beets. It is amazing! They used to ship them by rail but now I think they truck them to central Idaho. This is the first year they have planted sugar beets behind our house because the field is so small. I'm glad they did so I could watch them harvest up close.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment